The Maths Talent Quest is a great way to support student’s numeracy development as they engage in mathematical investigations.
REGISTRATIONS CLOSED ON WEDNESDAY 28 JULY, 2021.
PLEASE EMAIL JEN BOWDEN IF YOU HAVE A LATE REGISTRATION.
In 2021 we will continue will a digital format and online judging system. This will ensure your students can still be involved in MTQ without requiring contact at judging.
Please address any questions to Jen Bowden after reading the information on this website!:
MTQ is an annual activity aimed at promoting interest in mathematics and fostering positive attitudes amongst students, teachers and parents. The focus of the MTQ is on the process of mathematical investigations and relating mathematics to everyday life.
- Six investigations from each category in each year level in each school can be entered for judging at the Mathematical Association of Victoria for State-wide judging.
- The cost will be $35 per entry for member schools and $42.50 for non-member schools.
- Registrations for State-wide judging opens Monday 19 April and close Monday 26 July. No late registrations will be accepted.
- Refunds will only be accepted prior to Monday 26 July (less 50% of entry fee per entry). Please provide your cancellation in writing and include any documentation already sent out. Strictly no refunds will be accepted after this date.
- 1Schools will be notified of results and if their entries will be sent to the National Judging by Friday 27 August.
Please address any questions to Jen Bowden firstname.lastname@example.org
KEY DATES 2021:
Your students can start working on investigations at anytime in 2021!
Registration of State-wide MTQ
Registration opens Monday 19 April and close Wednesday 28th July, 2021.
Online delivery for State-wide MTQ
Monday 9th August, 2021 before 3pm.
Online judging will take place from 16-22 August 2021.
October 21, 2021
All Victorian and Tasmanian students from the early years to Year 12 can enter the Maths Talent Quest, through there school. One entry per category can then be entered for National Contention judging.
This website is updated often with information for teachers and students to assist in your knowledge of the MTQ so please check back here regularly.
- 2021 MTQ Information
- 2021 Student Information
- 2021 Answering Your Questions
- 2021 State Judging Rubric
- 100 Inspiring MTQ Titles
- 2020 Participation Certificate
SOME IMPORTANT INFORMATION AND CHANGES TO THE MTQ
- Check the MAV website regularly for updates.
- There will be no cost for students to enter at a school level.
- All participating students will receive a certificate. Templates will be sent to schools.
- School may enter six entries per year level and category for the State-Wide MTQ.
NATIONAL MATHEMATICS TALENT QUEST
The National Mathematics Talent Quest accepts one top entry for each category from states and territories across Australia. For those states that do not have a local competition, schools are welcome to enter their student’s investigations through the Mathematical Association of Victoria’s competition. In 2021, the Maths Association of Western Australia will host national judging.
PATHWAYS TO THE NATIONAL MATHS TALENT QUEST
- New South Wales – The Mathematical Association of New South Wales Competition Investigating With Maths
- Queensland – The Science Teacher’s Association of Queensland’s Queensland Science Contest (Mathematics Category)
- Western Australia – The Mathematical Association of Western Australian Maths Talent Quest
- South Australia – Mathematical Association of South Australia Enrichment Project
All other states and territories (ACT, Tasmania, Western Australia and the Northern Territory) are welcome to enter through the Mathematical Association of Victoria’s Competition.
For enquiries about the National Maths Talent Quest please email Jen Bowden.
Maths Talent Quest Examples