MTQ is an annual activity aimed at promoting interest in mathematics and fostering positive attitudes amongst students, teachers and parents. The focus of the MTQ is on the process of mathematical investigations and relating mathematics to everyday life.
MTQ registrations are now closed for 2019.
Please contact the MAV office on 9380 2399 if you require assistance or email Jacqui Diamond.
Who can enter?
Entry is open to individuals, small groups or classes from Prep–12 and are categorised into year levels from Prep to Year 9 with a combined year 10–12 level.
Each school can entry up to 6 entries, per level, per category.
State level prizes are awarded to individual, group and class entries with Credit and Encouragement receivers awarded certificates and Distinction and High Distinction receiving a gift voucher and certificate.
Awards will be given out at our MTQ Awards Ceremony to be held on Thursday 17 October 2019 at La Trobe University. Certain winners will also qualify for the National Maths Talent Quest where winners will also be announced at the MTQ Awards Ceremony.
For professional learning, judging rubric feedback or general enquiries please contact Jennifer Bowden.
If you are interested in becoming a MTQ sponsor please contact email@example.com.
Key dates 2019:
|Register your interest||Tuesday 23 April 2019|
|Registration opens||Monday 27 May 2019 (Please note later date)|
|Registration closes||Friday 19 July 2019|
|Delivery of entries||Wednesday 21 August 2019|
|Judging||Thursday 22 August - Tuesday 27 August 2019 (No judging on Sunday)|
|Display of entries||Wednesday 28 August 2019 (Morning)|
|Entry Pick Up||Wednesday 28 August 2019 (Afternoon) and Thursday 29 August 2019 (2pm deadline)|
|National Judging||Friday 13 September 2019|
|Award Ceremony||Thursday 17 October 2019|
All Victorian and Tasmanian students from the early years to Year 12 can enter the Maths Talent Quest. The best of these entries will then be entered into the National Maths Talent Quest.
This website is updated often with information for teachers and students to assist in your knowledge of the MTQ so please check back here regularly.
- 2019 Student Information
- 2019 Answering Your Questions
- 2019 MTQ Information
- 2019 State Judging Rubric
- 100 Inspiring MTQ Titles
- 2019 Participation Certificate
Please click on the following images to download MTQ PowerPoint presentations:
Some important information and changes to the MTQ
- Check the MAV website regularly for updates.
- Registration will open in Term 2 and will be available on the MAV website.
- You are required to complete your school judging and select entries to send to the state judging BEFORE you register on the MAV website.
- Schools can enter a maximum of six entries per category per year level.
- It is compulsory for each metropolitan school to provide a minimum of two hours judging. Where schools have more than five entries, an extra two hours of judging must be provided for every five extra entries. Regional schools are also encouraged to participate in judging.
- All participating students will receive a certificate.
- Winning students will receive a certificate and book voucher – no cash prizes will be given
MTQ cost structure 2019
|Number of entries per category per year level
|Fee per year level
- MAV Members (incl. GST)
|Fee per year level
- Non-Members (incl. GST)
National Mathematics Talent Quest
The National Mathematics Talent Quest accepts the top entries from States and Territories across Australia. For those states that do not have a local competition, schools are welcome to enter their student’s investigations through the Mathematical Association of Victoria’s competition.
Pathways to the National Maths Talent Quest
- New South Wales – The Mathematical Association of New South Wales Competition Investigating With Maths
- Queensland – The Science Teacher’s Association of Queensland’s Queensland Science Contest (Mathematics Category)
- Western Australia – The Mathematical Association of Western Australian Maths Talent Quest
- South Australia – Mathematical Association of South Australia Enrichment Project
All other states and territories (ACT, Tasmania, Western Australia and the Northern Territory) are welcome to enter through the Mathematical Association of Victoria’s Competition.
For enquiries about the National Maths Talent Quest please email or , or contact the MAV Office 03 9380 2399.
For enquiries about the National Mathematics Talent Quest please contact the MAV Office on 03 9380 2399 or email firstname.lastname@example.org