First held in 1982, the MTQ is an annual activity open to all primary and secondary students. Students select their own investigation topic based on their personal learning interests and apply mathematics in context. They understand and discover how mathematics is used and found in the world around them, providing a positive experience that reduces the barriers to learning in mathematics and often reduces student maths anxiety.
CLICK ON THE ICONS BELOW FOR MORE INFORMATION
The Maths Talent Quest:
- Promotes an interest in and increases the awareness of mathematics in real life.
- Focuses on building the learning capability of students.
- Facilitates the integration of learning outcomes across mathematics and across other curriculum areas within the Victorian Curriculum.
- Develops student communication, collaboration, problem solving, critical thinking and other skills.
- Encourages students to verify and justify the results of an investigation.
- Creates avenues for extension for the more able students.
- Allows all students to be rewarded for growth.
- Caters for mixed ability teaching and a variety of learning styles and preferences.
- Fosters positive attitudes towards mathematics amongst students, teachers and parents to reduce maths anxiety.
Empower mathematical investigation with MTQ!