Welcome to MAV!
Through its programs and services, The Mathematical Association of Victoria (MAV) promotes the Importance of Mathematics to Society. Our Association has over 1400 members from all sectors of education including individuals, schools, universities and other institutions. This provides membership benefits to a growing network of over 15,000 mathematics educators. MAV is the peak professional body for mathematics educators in Victoria.
MAV works with teachers and school leaders to enhance student outcomes in mathematics and numeracy, better preparing students for their personal, professional and civic lives. Our role is to support educators in developing and delivering curriculum and programs that challenge our students to become the future of mathematical creativity and innovation. In doing so we develop educator skills in implementation of evidence-based and cutting edge teaching and learning approaches.
We work directly with students to increase their engagement in mathematics through games days, our Maths Talent Quest, Girls in STEM days, mathematics camps, VCE revision support, and other activities. In doing so we increase students’ prospects towards STEM careers that support our future economy.
We provide resources to support both educators and parents, run public events, and work with various organisations and government to increase our reach and impact.
We are educational experts and leaders, supporting the future of mathematics education from early childhood to year 12. Through our 100+ events per year we reach over 60,000 educators, students and parents across metropolitan and regional Victoria.
MAV has been around for over 110 years!
MAV is a highly respected, proactive professional association that fosters the promotion of mathematics education.
MAV’s core services include:
- Membership: Providing benefits and positive support to all mathematics educators including our Maths Active Schools Accreditation.
- Professional learning: Programs throughout the year in metropolitan areas, regional centres and online.
- Professional advice: MAV Education Consultants provide information and advice for Victorian teachers.
- In-school consulting MAV’s 3Ps approach underpins our consulting, focusing on Pedagogy, Planning and Practice to lead change in teaching and learning in mathematics classrooms.
- Annual conference: Held each December in Melbourne for over 1400 mathematics educators from Victoria, Australia and internationally.
- Primary conference: Held anually to support primary and early childhood educators, with The Melbourne Graduate School of Education at The University of Melbourne.
- Student activities: Including the Maths Talent Quest, VCE Revision Lectures, Maths Camps, STEM events and Maths Games Days.
- Newsletters and journals: Including the termly magazine Common Denominator, and our journals Prime Number (Primary) and Vinculum (Secondary).
- MAVshop: MAV publishes and sells a wide range of teacher and student resources for F - 12, including VCE Trial Examinations and Solutions, SAC starting points and VCE Revision books. We also stock a range of professional and practical maths education resources for teachers and parents.
- Advocacy and representation: MAV works in the best interest of members to speak on their behalf to government, industry and other stakeholders.
- A meeting place: Our office has spaces available for meetings or training sessions. Download Room Booking Form (PDF).
MAV is an Affiliate of the Australian Association of Mathematics Teachers (AAMT).