More than an AGM, we welcome members to join us for life member presentations, and barefoot bowls.
Come along and reconnect with your peers, the MAV board and staff, and enjoy an evening of socialising in the great outdoors. ALL MEMBERS WELCOME!
Notice is hereby given that the Annual General Meeting for The Mathematical Association of Victoria will take place as follows:
Date: Tuesday 24th May
Commencing at: 6.00pm.
Location: City of Melbourne Bowls Club: Flagstaff Gardens, Dudley St, West Melbourne VIC 3003 (https://www.citybowls.org/)
All members and interested parties welcome.
- Minutes of previous meeting
- Annual report including Presidents Report
- Financial reports
- Election of Directors if required
- Life Member presentations
- Drinks, networking and barefoot Bowls!
RSVPs Close Monday 16th May - email Sally Turnbull: email@example.com.
If you require a proxy form, this is available from Sally Turnbull: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Election and nomination form: NOMINATIONS ARE CLOSED FOR 2022
In accordance with Clause 35.4 of constitution of The Mathematical Association of Victoria nominations are hereby called for membership of the Board of The Mathematical Association of Victoria for the period May 2022 to May 2024.
Skills and attributes
MAV directors play an active and visible leadership role in the education sector. All potential directors should be able to demonstrate leadership, integrity, interpersonal and communication skills, a passion for education and associations, and an understanding of or willingness to develop and uphold corporate governance.
The board of MAV value and seek diversity as defined by gender, ethnicity, age, role and level of experience and encourage applications from all eligible members. Regional delegates are encouraged to apply, with meeting attendance flexible via video conference.
How to nominate
Members of the Association wishing to nominate for the Board need to complete the nomination form, and return to the Company Secretary, Peter Saffin at email@example.com no later than close of business Tuesday 26th April 2022. NOMINATIONS ARE CLOSED
Nominations will only be accepted by email.
Note that nominees need to submit to a bio, headshot and personal statement and an optional video (See below). Information about this is outlined on the nomination form. Your nomination will not be deemed complete until all requested information is received before the closing date.
Directors will be elected to fill vacant positions on the 2022 – 2024 MAV Board at the Annual General Meeting (AGM):
- Directors are appointed for a period of two (2) years.
- 6 positions will be vacant and available for election.
- Office bearers are appointed by the Board at the first meeting of the Board following the election.
In addition to the nomination form, in a Word Document, please include the following Candidate Statement. The total of this submission should be no more than one page.
- A short 200 – 300 word biography, and recent photo, and
- A 200 – 300 word personal statement of how your experience, skills and interests will be of value to the MAV Board if you are appointed to the role of Director.
- Plus an optional video statement: this is optional but highly encouraged, and to a maximum of two minutes. The CEO or an elected director that is retiring may provide assistance in producing candidate videos if requested. Videos will be provided to members as part of nomination information to assist with their voting choice.
You will be required to gain a Director ID if appointed/elected. By law it is required to have a Director ID. As the MAV AGM is in May, you will have 28 days after the AGM to apply for and receive your Director ID. Large fines apply for not meeting this requirement. Fine out more here: https://www.abrs.gov.au/director-identification-number
Are you thinking of being a Director of MAV?
The Mathematical Association of Victoria (MAV) is an innovative and leading association. Through its programs and services, MAV promotes the importance of mathematics to society. MAV has over 1400 members from all sectors of education including individuals, schools, universities and other institutions. This provides membership benefits to a growing network of over 15,000 mathematics educators. MAV reaches up to 23,000 people through its newsletter and has been an active not-for-profit professional Association for more than 100 years. To find out more about our services and impact see our annual reports.
MAV was incorporated as a Public Company with Limited Liability on the 5th of July 1971. MAV became a registered Charity on 4th August 2020 and reports to the Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission (ACNC). Most of MAV’s obligations are to the ACNC.
For MAV, the ‘Objects' of the Association as defined in the Constitution are to assist and advance education in mathematics, and to promote the importance and value of mathematics in society. The Company pursues these Objects through a range of activities and services which are outlined here.
A charity’s members are its ‘owners’ and form an important part of any charity. Members are entitled to know how a charity is acting and using its resources (finances and any assets) on their behalf.
Want to know if you are suitable to be a Director? Any member can nominate, and you can find out more by reviewing the following:
1. Why join MAV Board Q&A (download).
2. The Board Charter (download) provides a detailed description of the requirements of becoming a Director, including the various responsibilities of appointed positions.
It is highly recommended that you read this Board Charter prior to nominating to ensure that you can fulfill the responsibilities of being a Director.
Newly appointed directors may also be required to attend a Director Induction Training with the CEO, date to be confirmed by negotiation.
A commitment to the following meeting dates is also required for 2022. These meetings will be a mixture of virtual and in person. For further information email the CEO, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Board Calendar 2022 dates:
- Board meeting, Tuesday 14 June 2022: 6pm
- Board meeting, Tuesday 26 July 2022:
- Sunday 14 Aug 2022: Annual Director Training Workshop; 10am to 2pm.
- Board meeting, Tuesday 13 Sept 2022
- Sunday 23 October 2022 PLANNING SESSION 9.30am to 1:00pm followed by social lunch
- Board meeting, Tuesday 15 Nov 2022
- End of year open house/stakeholder function Wed 14th Dec 2022.
- Board meeting, Tuesday 14th Feb 2023: 6pm
Committee involvment is expected, with further dates possibly required.
Further dates in 2023 TBC. Dates subject to final confirmation after new Board meets.