MTQ: Financial Literacy In Practice Challenge
Monday 21 March 2022
MAV is excited to share with you an enhanced Victorian Maths Talent Quest, where students can undertake the Minister for Education, James Merlino’s, Financial Literacy in Practice (FLIP) Challenge! MAV is delivering the new Financial Literacy in Practice (FLIP) Challenge in partnership with the Victorian Department of Education and Training.
The FLIP challenge brings a practical, real-world focus to financial literacy education to the classroom. Topics can relate to financial literacy in everyday life, such as buying a pet, planning a holiday, exploring household costs or setting up a small business; or societal issues such as the cost of global warming or blockchain technologies, or comparing electric and combustion engine vehicles.
Financial literacy gives students a deeper understanding of economic and financial concepts that allow them to make effective decisions for themselves and others, both now and into the future.
Students undertake the FLIP challenge as part of the MAV’s highly successful Maths Talent Quest (MTQ). First held in 1982, the MTQ is an annual activity open to all primary and secondary students. Students select their own investigation topic based on their personal learning interests and apply mathematics in context. They understand and discover how mathematics is used and found in the world around them, providing a positive experience that reduces the barriers to learning in mathematics and often reduces student maths anxiety.
“Financial literacy is an essential life skill, helping Victorians better navigate a world full of complex financial products and services. That’s why I’m pleased to announce the new FLIP Challenge for Victorian students today.”
Minister for Education, James Merlino
Watch the launch by Mister Merlino on YouTube: https://youtu.be/SCeZsfyGu5o
Read the Minister's Press release here: https://www.jamesmerlino.com.au/media-releases/financial-literacy-challenge-adds-up-for-victorian-schools/
In 2022 MAV has enhanced the MTQ to ensure there is more support for students and teachers through the following:
- FLIP Challenge Introduction of the Financial Literacy In Practice (FLIP) Challenge, a new partnership with the Victorian Department of Education and Training to include financial literacy as a focus for real world applications of mathematics.
- Student and Teacher Resources New resource packs to support for teachers and students as they implement the MTQ and work on their investigations focusing on the investigation process and financial literacy.
- 2022 Victorian Judging Rubric An improved judging rubric that includes financial literacy and a focus on the proficiencies.
- Professional Learning Online professional learning series to assist teachers with administration, mentoring investigative approaches and financial literacy.
- Website An enhanced website with access to all information, resources pack and the FLIP Challenge.
- Registration Improved registration process to allow you to upload your investigations at the point of registration.
Find out more and register to take part go to: https://www.mav.vic.edu.au/Student-activities/Maths-Talent-Quest
For more information contact Jen Bowden, firstname.lastname@example.org