Five reasons to attend MAV17
Conference keynote presentations
We asked each keynote presenter to answer the question ‘Give five outcomes delegates will take way from your keynote?’. In the upcoming MAV17 conference alerts we will provide you with their answers. Here are the first two.
Norm Do – Monash University
How, What and Why I Think About Maths
Friday 8 December 2017
Norm will provide insights for delegates to:
- See how maths in the school curriculum sits into the larger mathematical ecosystem
- Be served with some delicious mathematical hors d'oeuvres that demonstrate the beauty of mathematics and can be used in a classroom setting
- Get a glimpse of how he sees, learns, and teaches maths
- Learn how and why convincing students to study more maths at school, but also beyond school
- Help build bridges between school mathematics teachers, university mathematics lecturers, and employers of quantitatively skilled graduates.
Professor David Clarke - The University of Melbourne
Carmel Mesiti - The University of Melbourne
The International Lexicon Project: Giving a name to
what we do
Friday 8 December 2017
David and Carmel’s presentation will show that:
- Our teaching is shaped by the things we can name, as is our capacity to reflect on that teaching
- Australian teachers have a language to talk about the classroom, but it is limited in scope and lacking in precision - partly because Australian teachers lack opportunities to talk about their practice
- Other communities, speaking other languages, name (and see and do) other things in their mathematics classrooms and the classroom phenomena named in these other languages offer us possibilities for practice that we might not otherwise have seen
- Teaching Standards inevitably focus on what we are able to name: Is our conception of accomplished practice restricted by the limitations of English?
- What activities are so central to the practices of the mathematics classroom that every community has given those things a name! Where are these prioritised activities in our teacher education programs and our teaching standards?
For more details regarding our keynotes and sessions please click here.
Online registration now open!
Registration is now open for the MAV17 54th annual conference at La Trobe University on Thursday 7 and Friday 8 December. This year’s conference theme is Achieving excellence in M.A.T.H.S and the five sub themes – Mindset, Assessing, Targeting, Hands-on, and Shifting the Narrative.
Full details of registration costs and entitlements are available on the conference website.
Conference Sponsorship Opportunities Available!
If you missed out on securing an exhibition space at the MAV17 Conference there are still opportunities to become a conference sponsor.
Sponsorship opportunities include Keynote, Notepad, Pens, Refreshment breaks and many more.
For further details contact Jacqui Diamond at email@example.com