What is it?
MAV’s Mathematics Active Schools initiative is a way to recognise and support schools who are effectively engaging their students mathematically.
Who can apply?
Any Victorian registered school (primary, secondary or P-12).
What’s the criteria?
The eight criteria are listed here. The MAV don’t expect schools to necessarily excel in each of the criteria listed, but expects that schools have plans in place to move toward achieving the criteria.
Before you apply, you’ll need:
- the support of your principal
- to provide short statements of evidence against eight criteria (see right)
- a purchase order number
- to be a MAV member school
What happens after the application is submitted?
Once you have completed the online application form, a panel of MAV professional officers and councillors will consider your school’s application. If your application is approved, you’ll be notified and a package of Mathematics Active support materials and a plaque that designates your school as Mathematics Active will be sent to you.
What’s in it for you and your school?
- public recognition of your schools mathematics program
- increased support and awareness of mathematical professional development, activities and resources
- a package of MAV materials and services that promote active learning of mathematics
- demonstration to students and parents that mathematics is enjoyable and valued by your school and its teachers
- a robust recruitment tool that enables prospective students and parents to see that your school is active in its teaching of mathematics
- the right to display a certificate and use a Mathematics Active Schools logo on school newsletters, letterheads and communication materials
- mathematical content supplied by MAV for use in your school newsletter or other suitable reproduction
- free attendance at MAV’s Teach Mathematics for Understanding professional development workshop. This PD will be held in several locations around the state and schools can book into whichever location suits them best.
- inclusion in the program may assist with the recruitment and retention of talented mathematics staff
priority for inclusion in pilot programs and initiatives that the MAV undertakes in conjunction with higher education institutions and government
- the program is recognition of your school’s existing mathematics practice - it doesn’t require additional work from teachers.
The Mathematics Active Schools program carries a fee of 2013 of $350 for small schools and $450 for large schools.
Applications for Maths Active Schools are now being received and will close on Friday, 31 August 2013. For more information, telephone MAV on 03 9380 2399.