Who can apply?
Any Victorian registered school (primary, secondary or P-12).
When can I apply?
You can apply to be a Maths Active School at any time. Please note that applications are closed from mid November until late January yearly.
How do I apply?
1.Download and respond to the Maths Active School criteria,
2.Submit application to Ellen Corovic email@example.com, and
3.On confirmation of successful application pay the Maths Active School invoice of $450 ($350 for small schools).
What is the criteria for a Maths Active School?
Maths Active Criteria
- Actively supports the mathematics professional learning needs of staff,
- Has appropriate school structure the mathematics program to maximise learning and teaching,
- Promotes effective learning and teaching practices in mathematics,
- Uses assessment to inform teacher practice to enhance student learning outcomes,
- Participates in student mathematics activities,
- Actively demonstrates a commitment to valuing mathematics in our society by incorporating parents and the community, and
- Promotes the effective use of technology in the learning of mathematics.
The MAV does not expect schools to necessarily excel in each of the criteria listed, but expects that schools have plans in place to move toward achieving the criteria.
Before you apply, you’ll need:
- the support of your principal and leadership teams
- to provide short statements of evidence against each of the seven criteria
- a purchase order number
- to be a MAV member school
What happens after the application is submitted?
A team of education consultants at the MAV review all applications, make suggestions as needed, then make a recommendation to the MAV’s Council to accept or decline a schools application.
Once a school has been granted the Maths Active School accreditation by MAV Council an invoice of $350 for small schools and $450 for standard sized schools will be issued. This is largely to cover the cost of promotional material such as a plaque and posters. (There is a yearly re-enrolment fee, which is currently set at $100.)
What’s in it for you and your school?
Your school will receive;
- a Maths Active School plaque with your schools name on it,
- promotional material including soft and hard copy posters and MAV MAS logos for your use,
- a reproducible resource kit aimed at providing mathematical content for your schools newsletter,
- special invitations to attend events, professional development or trial programs, and
- increased support and awareness of mathematical professional development, activities and resources.
Your school can;
- publicise your schools Maths Active Schools accreditation,
- demonstrate to students, parents and your school community that mathematics is enjoyable and highly valued by it’s teachers,
- display Maths Active Schools logos on school newsletters, letterheads and communication material,
- receive priority for pilot programs and initiatives that the MAV undertakes, and
- receive free Teach Maths 4 Understanding (TM4U) workshop at your school (if requested).
Who can I contact at MAV about Maths Active Schools?
For further information regarding Maths Active Schools please contact Ellen Corovic on (03) 9380 2399 or firstname.lastname@example.org.